Monday, September 05, 2005

Things I am Realy Good at

When life gets crappy, I’ve found that the best solution is a delicate mix of avoidance and regression. Now, granted, this “solution” doesn’t actually solve anything. It just feels good for a while.

Today I had the task of going through a big tub of papers my mother had saved from my days in school. Amusing schoolwork, art projects, scribbles, photos, etc. I had to decide what was worth saving and what could be chucked in the bin. Not an easy decision.

One of my best discoveries was a journal from Reading class, dated Spring 1989.

I learned a lot reading that journal:
  • I was a funny little kid back then.

  • My writing was quite parenthetical, even at age 9.

  • I seemed to be weirdly obsessed with rabbits at that point.

  • Seriously.

  • I sound like Lenny from Of Mice and Men.

Here are a few excerpts that I particularly enjoyed, my 9 year-old spelling and grammar intact:

My Favorite Animals are:
1. Horses
2. Rabbits
3. Dogs
I want to be a vetranariyan when I grow up.
I think animals are neat.
I like horses, rabbits and dogs the most, because they are all nice pets and are easily trained.
I guess I could say that animals are my hobby.
What Makes Me Laugh….
Baby rabbits when they hop around.
Funny jokes because I just can’t stop from laughing.
Clowns because they always do something funny, and all I can do is laugh.
Funny faces because they seem so stupid.

Likes:
Ice cream
Friends
Music
Flowers
Spring
Summer (not the girl)
Rabbits
Animals
Zoos
Color

Dislikes:
Spinich (not raw)
Stapels
Hogs (the people kind)
Mean Cats
Wind
My cousin Bill
Tomato
Math

And this is my personal favorite:

I am Realy Good at:
Riding horses (I am realy good at that)
Dancing
Reading
Piano*
Sience
Poetry
Writing storys
Making people laugh
Taking care of animals
Soccer
Raising rabbits
Flying kites
Swimming
Putting on mine, and other peoples make up
Running
Acting
Playing
Jumping
Cooking
Jogging
4-H projects
Climbing
Squeezing into small places
Painting


*I was either lying or completely lacking any sort of self-awareness. I sincerely remember being terrible at piano.

4 Comments:

Blogger jenny said...

funny indeed! tell me, are you still good at squeezing into small places? ;) still feels good to see kids (girls) having self-confidence enough to acknowledge being good at something. except for being nice. or maybe american kids have more of that than swedish.

September 05, 2005 3:35 AM  
Blogger Michel said...

I really can't comment on the other stuff, but you're still good at making people laugh!

= )

(Very cute, btw - sounds like you were a happy kid.)

September 05, 2005 6:52 AM  
Blogger Flamingo Jones said...

jenny--I wish I was still so unabashed in my ability to toot my own horn!

michael--that has always been my personal favorite, of all my talents :)

wob--I hope she does. That little jerk.

September 05, 2005 11:24 AM  
Blogger Ian McGibboney said...

You forgot "humility," Jones! :)

Fantastic read from the post-Dukakis days. Remind me to share mine sometime.

September 06, 2005 2:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home