Friday, July 08, 2005

The Cheese Stands Alone

I'm going to hazard a guess that I'm the only person on the planet that DIDN'T like War of the Worlds.

And I even went into it with a good attitude. So many people told me it was SO good that I'd like it even if I don't like Tom Cruise.

But so many people were wrong about that.

Maybe my timing was off. Maybe I would have liked it more if I had seen it pre-London attack. As is was, I really wasn't in the mood to watch stuff get blown up repeatedly.

But there really was so much to dislike, I don't think even seeing it earlier would've helped.

For example, by about 45 minutes into the film, I was ready to feed Dakota Fanning to the damn aliens myself.

So, call me crazy....but I just don't get the hype.

5 Comments:

Blogger Ian McGibboney said...

I'll take your word for it. I'm not even motivated enough to see it. Or much else that's out now. One original idea to go, please!

July 08, 2005 11:39 PM  
Blogger barn said...

Dakota Fanning IS an alien. Terrible casting!

July 10, 2005 12:31 PM  
Blogger Flamingo Jones said...

Wow Zac....I have to disagree with you. I walked out of the theater and said to my friend: "I kind of hate Steven Spielberg now." I honestly did not get one whole minute of enjoyment out of it. I did laugh the first time Tim Robbins popped on screen...because I could picture him yelling "No Commercials! No Mercy!" But that's about it.

And I don't know about Fantastic Four. I like superhero movies a lot...but it looks sort of cheesy. I'll go if I can see it for free and get paid for my time...but that's about it.

July 11, 2005 11:30 AM  
Blogger jenny said...

i saw 'sin city' a few days ago, not superhero perhaps but still comic, and not having read the comic itself before (although i've seen it on our bookshelf every day for about 3 years, but what does it help) i thought it was a good comic book-movie, or whatever. i really enjoyed the comic book elements and the graphic effects. as for the story and the comic book itself, that's probably a different story. i have issues with that kind of stereotypical gender portrayal.

July 11, 2005 11:49 AM  
Blogger Flamingo Jones said...

That's exactly what I thought of Sin City! Fun to watch, effects-wise, but I didn't really appreciate the storyline very much.

July 11, 2005 12:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home