Friday, November 11, 2005

Friday Random Ten: The Ideas Network Edition

Pretend it's talk radio, today. I'm not in a musical mood. So here are 10 random thoughts instead.

1. FOX cancelled Arrested Development. So now I think they are 100% evil, as opposed to the 99.9% evil I thought they were before. If it wasn't for My Name is Earl and The Office on NBC, I'd probably sell my television.

2. It was 62 degrees out today. This is not only unseasonable....it's really unthinkable. I know that it's probably global warming, and the polar bears are going to drown, and we're all going to die.....but it feels really, really good. I've had the second verse of Postal Service's Sleeping In running through my head all day:
And then last night I had that strange dream
Where everything was exactly how it seemed
Where concerns about the world getting warmer
The people thought they were just being rewarded
For treating others as they like to be treated
For obeying stop signs and curing diseases
For mailing letters with the address of the sender
Now we can swim any day in November
3. Earlier today, I read a news story about Karl Rove saying something or other about Conservatives winning judicial debates. I don't remember exactly what it was, and I can't be bothered to find it again....besides, that's not the point. My point is: why is Karl Rove saying ANYTHING? Just because he hasn't been indicted, that doesn't mean he's in the clear. Someone needs to muzzle him. Metaphorically speaking. Or literally speaking. Whichever.

4. Sometimes, when I'm being a good defensive driver, keeping an eye on potential hazards in the roadway ahead, and I see what might be a large, squat, animal on the shoulder, I get excited because I think that it's an alligator. Then I instantly remember that I live in Wisconsin again, and we don't have alligators on the roads here....and I feel just a little bit sad. Not sad because I don't live in Louisiana anymore, but sad because alligators can't tolerate cold climates.

5. Both Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire AND Walk the Line (starring Joaquin Phoenix) hit theaters the same day (next Friday). This knowledge gives me strange tingly sensations all over.

6. I have a friend who has never seen Ferris Bueller's Day Off. How is that possible?

7. I took 4 cynical teenage boys to see the movie Dreamer last night. I warned them on the way there that we were only going to it because it was the only non-R-rated movie they hadn't seen yet, and we wanted to get out of the house for a couple hours. I told them I could not guarantee the quality of the movie, considering that it features Dakota Fanning and is about a horse. But at the end, we all had to agree that it wasn't nearly as sucky as we thought it was going to be.

8. If I pissed off an evil sorceror and he was going to turn me into a kitchen appliance for the rest of my life, I would hope to be a toaster. Or maybe a blender.

9. Apple Cinnamon Pop-Tarts are wildly overrated. If, in fact, they are rated at all.

10. I took this silly internet quiz thing that was supposed to tell me about myself based on my answers to questions about animals. When I said that if I could tame an animal for a pet, I'd choose a polar bear, the quiz told me that I'm afraid of marriage. Which is true. I just don't know what the polar bear has to do with it. (Maybe because he's cold? I don't know.) I think my polar bear choice had more to do with my susceptibility to advertising and those gosh darn adorable Coca-Cola bears than anything else though, really.

6 Comments:

Blogger barn said...

Damn. You get my mixCD one day, and the next you're off music entirely! Ouch.

November 11, 2005 10:28 PM  
Blogger Flamingo Jones said...

oh no no no! I love your mixcd. That's actually a contributing factor to my not wanting to go random today. I should have specified :)

November 11, 2005 10:47 PM  
Blogger jenny said...

you'd make an excellent radio talker (or whatever you call it..). add that to the list of "things i'm positive i'd be great at, should i do it" if it's not on there already. cos you do have one, right? list i mean. you should. i do :) and the radio-thing is on mine too.

and about the weather; it's warmer than it should be here too. not 62, more like 50, but clearly warmer than it should be. i really long for winter now. preferably without the polar bears though ;)

btw. off-topic. do you prefer chocolate over other candy or the reverse?

November 12, 2005 6:00 AM  
Blogger Flamingo Jones said...

Chocolate, for sure. But chocolate mixed with something else (peanutbutter, mint, etc) is the best.

November 12, 2005 8:16 AM  
Blogger Ian McGibboney said...

It's 70 over here and I'm shivering. Then again, I suck if it isn't hot. And even then, I sweat. Damn swamp.

November 12, 2005 10:08 AM  
Blogger Flamingo Jones said...

I remember that 90 degrees there feels 10x hotter than 90 degress feels here. Same goes for cold. 40 degrees here is pleasant during the winter, 40 degrees there made me wish I was dead. I think it's the humidity. I dunno.

November 13, 2005 12:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home