Monday, October 31, 2005

Happy Halloween

So, I'm totally psyched about today. Because I work. Which makes no sense, I know.

But, the teenagers I work with are really getting into the Harry Potter-themed costumes and decorations I'm doing with them. We have 6 boys and 2 of us staff working tonight, so we have a Harry Potter, Ron Weasly, Hagrid, Dumbledore, Professor Snape, a Dementor, Hermione Grainger, and Professor Trelawney. It's adorable. It's so funny (and oddly rewarding) to see a bunch of street-hardened, thuggish, teen boys getting excited about dressing up in Harry Potter costumes. I always liked working holidays with these kinds of kids. So many of them had no childhood to speak of, so it's wonderful to see them get to re-live what they may have missed out on. It's days like these that make me love my job. I think my enthusiasm actually has a lot to do with the boys' level of enthusiasm. For those of you Teach For America survivors, one phrase popped into my head yesterday thinking about that: "I make the weather in my Treatment Center."

Even when Daylight Savings is utterly and completely kicking my ass.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home