Thursday, November 24, 2005

"There weren't another other way to be."

So, first off...Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Hope everyone had a good day.

Today I went to see Walk the Line for the second time. I am thankful for Joaquin Phoenix. Sue me.

I think I could watch this movie a billion times and not get tired of it. Johnny Cash. Joaquin Phoenix. It's like Flamingo Heaven, right here on Earth.

However as much and as long (one word: SpaceCamp) as I've loved Joaquin Phoenix, I think my favorite part of the movie and the soundtrack is Shooter Jennings's portrayal of his father. I've loved Waylon Jennings for as long as I can remember.

I've always been pretty sensitive, which led to semi-frequent bouts with mild depression, even when I was just a little tyke. My childhood room had a big closet where I kept all of my stuffed toys. Inside the closet, there was a sizable built-in shelf space. It was big and sturdy enough for me to crawl up into when I needed to curl up and hide from the world. I used to steal my mom's copy of Waylon's Honky Tonk Heroes on vinyl, put it on my Fisher-Price Record Player, turn off the lights and just sit with my teddy bears and listen for hours and hours on end. I had yet to visit places like Omaha, or Mexico. And I didn't have any concept of heartbreak or cheatin' or whiskey. But it made me feel better anyway. And it still does, to this day. Of course, now I've got a remastered CD version, but the idea's still the same. I pull that CD out a lot, actually.

So anyway, there's a scene in the movie that opens with the strains of "I'm a Long Way from Home"...and then you see Waylon Jennings sitting in the doorway of a crappy little Nashville apartment he shares with Cash, strumming and singing all mournful-like. Just like I'd always imagined him. Except it's NOT Waylon Jennings. But you'd swear it was. The resemblance is almost creepy. It made me tear up a little, both times now.

Anyway, that's all I have to say about that. It's a great movie, even if you don't have strong feelings about Joaquin Phoenix or Waylon Jennings. I mean, everybody loves Johnny Cash, right? I don't think I would trust anyone who didn't like Johnny Cash. I have yet to meet anyone like that, but I'm sure I wouldn't trust them if I did.

3 Comments:

Blogger jenny said...

i like johnny cash. wearing black will get you far in my book :)

November 25, 2005 5:17 AM  
Blogger Joanne said...

That movie was GREAT! Joaquin did a fantastic job as Johnny. I can't wait to see it again. I was not aware that Joaquin was in SpaceCamp (which I loved as a kid!), so I'll have to find and rewatch.

November 25, 2005 7:23 AM  
Blogger Ian McGibboney said...

"Walk the Line" was probably the best movie I've seen all year. The casting was immaculate and the whole thing was inspirational. It renewed my mourning of Waylon and Johnny, who have really just left us. I mean, Johnny recorded with U2 and Waylon did an episode of Family Guy. Their cultural reach was enormous and is not likely to be duplicated anytime soon. But with that inspirational film, who wouldn't want to try?

November 26, 2005 2:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home