Friday, March 17, 2006

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

This IS my favorite holiday of the year. Hands down. I just finished up my annual meal of Irish Boiled Dinner. It's my favorite meal of the year as well. Thanksgiving's got nothing on boiled cabbage, potatoes, rutabagas and carrots. I could eat this every day, I think. Except, my mom's in charge of making it and not being Irish at all, she doesn't really see the appeal. She freely admits she's happy St. Patrick's Day comes but once a year. Her loss. I think it's heaven in a bowl.

The day isn't about the drinking for me. I'm not a heavy drinker, so that's not my priority. It's all about celebrating my blood. Which doesn't happen often in my family. My father's father was and Irishman, but when he and my grandmother divorced, he and his genetic code became persona non grata. My dad was adopted by grandma's second husband, hence our Swedish surname and my acquired affection for lefse.

So, I don't have the Irish name I should. Which is a shame. But I do have the fair and freckled complexion. And an unholy love of potatoes and cabbage. And an inexplicable spiritual stirring of my soul when I hear "Danny Boy". And my hazel eyes shine green whenever I wear the color.

So, I think today is my day. And I love it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ian McGibboney said...

There's no green in this post...

<< pinch >>

You're more Irish than I am. I've got the name and the stubbornness, mainly.

March 17, 2006 12:19 PM  
Blogger Michel said...

Happy St. Patty's, Jones!
I'm with you on the potatoes and cabbage - that's some goood eats. Add a few pints of ale, and I'm in heaven.

Cheers everyone!

March 17, 2006 1:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home