Monday, December 05, 2005

"Sexy Secret Car Decal" or "Flamingo's Latest Crackpot Idea"

Driving this morning, I decided that I don’t care for Darwin Fish on cars. Something about them rubs me the wrong way….and I think I’ve finally realized what it is. I don’t like the fact that they demonstrate a belief in negative terms. Can’t we express ourselves and our beliefs without tearing down someone else’s? Isn’t there a way to show belief in science and provable scientific theory over Intelligent Design without being snarky about an ancient Christian symbol?

I know, I know. This sounds very un-Flamingo. I revel in snark. But I also do support everyone’s right to believe what they want. I’m respectful of that. I don’t like it when people are overbearing and mean about it, but that’s a different post. And, though Dobson and like wouldn’t want you to know it, being Christian and accepting the theory of evolution are NOT mutually exclusive.

Plus, when you think about it, the story of the icthus is kind of cool. A secret symbol drawn in the dirt to identify yourself to other believers….c’mon….that’s neat. It’s sexy to be clandestine.

So, anyway. I was thinking that it might be better to have our own sexy secret car decal to identify us as supporters of the work of Charles Darwin, keeping Intelligent Design out of classrooms, and the freedom of individual thought and expression….rather than just opponents of Christianity (which isn’t true….but that’s how the Darwin Fish comes off, I think). So, whenever you see one of these sexy secret car decals, you know that’s a kindred spirit driving. Nifty, huh?

I wracked my brain thinking of the perfect car decal, preferably one already in production, so I don’t have to make it myself (that’s a lot of work). And I came up with one that I think works well.

I present:

The Beagle
(Representing, of course, Darwin’s famous ship the HMS Beagle.)

Or

The Beagle 2

Or

The Beagle 3

And more. There are a disturbing number of Beagle decals in this world. Seriously, there are. Do a Google Search. Let's put them to good use. Any Beagle will do.

Now, obviously, if you choose to put said decal on your car, a lot of people might just think that you really like Beagles. That’s the chance you take. I’m sure a lot of people thought that ancient Christians were kind of loopy folks who really liked fish a lot.

So, I'm totally gonna do this. Pass it on.

4 Comments:

Blogger Ian McGibboney said...

The second beagle would work best, because its face contains an optical illusion that looks sort of like the Missing Link. That's double the clandestine for your submarine!

That said, I personally don't have a problem with the Darwin fish. I like it because of its parody value. The first time I saw a Darwin fish, I went with George Carlin's assessment: "too cute for me." But then I grew to really like them, because after a while I got so sick of seeing the real thing on cars surrounded by 23 anti-abortion and "W '04" stickers. And the D-fish itself is understated, so there's that pleasant surprise when you see that this person might not be so bad after all (and the ones I know who have it aren't all athiests either).

The Jesus fish has unfortunately strayed from its clandestine roots to become the ultimate symbol of, "Look at me! I'm going to Heaven!" I've seen every conceivable variety, and they get more ostentatious over time. People turning those magnetic troop ribbons sideways was the breaking point on that one for me.

Still, I have never had one on my vehicle, and probably wouldn't get one now. Mainly because they're overused nowadays. Just like the real thing.

December 05, 2005 1:20 PM  
Blogger jenny said...

shouldn't you have a so long and thanks for the fish fish?

:D

December 05, 2005 3:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I suppose a beagle peeing on a jesus fish is out...

December 06, 2005 10:16 AM  
Blogger Mike Miley said...

Good post, Flamingo. I agree with a lot of what's said here, especially in that the Darwin fish is an inaccurate parody of the ancient Christian secret handshake.

I guess I had the opposite reaction to it than Ian. I thought it was clever at first, then, the more I saw it, the more I realized that the joke didn't really work on its own level. Of course, the reason why Ian and I may differ on this is that I live in L.A. while he lives in LA.

I like the beagle. A photo of the Galapagos Islands would also be good, or perhaps of Paul Bettany since he was all into Darwin in that boring Russell Crowe on a boat movie.

December 06, 2005 10:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home