Sunday, March 19, 2006

Eavesdropping can be fun

Yesterday I was at an art/craft supply store and overheard the following conversation between a mother and her crabby sour pre-teen daughter (aren't they calling them "tweens" now or something stupid like that?) They were kind of loud about it, and I was so intrigued it took a lot of will power to keep myself from walking over to them and getting all up in their business to get the backstory. In lieu of that, I jotted the whole thing down as soon as I could, because I find it mildly entertaining.

Mother: I'm looking for something that reminds me of Hawaii.

Crabby Sour Tween Daughter: *muffled grumbles*

Mother: (ignoring the obvious grumbly unhappiness of The Tween) Look for something that reminds you of Hawaii for Grandpa's scrapbook. Pineapples or something.

Crabby Sour Tween Daughter: There's nothing!

Mother: Oh come on. Stop being like that. Help me look.

Crabby Sour Tween Daughter: I'm not being like that. There's NOTHING here.....Oh wait. Here's one. (hands mother something I couldn't quite make out from a distance)

Mother: (sounding slightly horrified) What does THAT have to do with Hawaii!?

Crabby Sour Tween Daughter: You know. Don't you remember the despair?

Mother: Uh...I really don't think that's what we want Grandpa to remember in his scrapbook.

Crabby Sour Tween Daughter: Why not? It's the truth.

Mother: (suddenly aware of their very loud conversation in a public place and therefore trying to sound overly sweet and loving) Well, we want something to make Grandpa remember how much we love him, right? I really think that's what Grandpa would like to remember too.

Crabby Sour Tween Daughter: Whatever. (pronounced eyeroll)
When the girl broke out "Don't you remember the despair" I almost died trying to keep from laughing. I really wish I knew what the hell they were talking about. It'd make a great story.

1 Comments:

Blogger barn said...

That's a short story waiting to happen.

March 20, 2006 6:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home