Monday, March 27, 2006

Marketing strategy gone awry

Universal Studios Home Video sent me an email to remind me that Brokeback Mountain comes out on DVD on April 4th. In celebration of that, they've created some special Brokeback Mountain e-cards.
From Jack to Ennis and back again. The story of Brokeback is told through the simple exchange of postcards. Explore clips from the DVD with this series of Brokeback Mountain e-postcards. Then tell your own story by sending a personalized postcard to your friend or lover.
Now, it's a good movie and all....but I'm finding a hard time trying to think of any message I would like to convey to a friend or lover using a Brokeback Mountain e-postcard. I don't care if you're straight or gay, cowboy or not...there just are not many appropriate things to say on a Brokeback Mountain card.

For instance, one card is the clip of Heath Ledger saying "If this thing grabs ahold of us again, in the wrong time, or in the wrong place, we're dead."

Lovely. Who wouldn't want that in their inbox?

What could you possibly write on that that wouldn't freak the recipient out completely?

I guess a gay man or lesbian could write to their partner:
"You know, maybe someday the government will recognize us as human beings deserving of equal rights. But until then, I guess we can be happy we're not being beaten to death by rednecks. Yet."
There really are a variety of inappropriate things one could use Brokeback Mountain e-cards for, I guess.
  • Dear Mom, Guess what......
  • Honey, I'm going fishing with my friend Pete this weekend. Don't wait up.
  • Dear President Bush, If this thing grabs ahold of us again in the wrong time, or in the wrong place, we're dead. And then we'll burn in hell for an eternity. I wish I knew how to quit you. XOXO, James "Dobby" Dobson
  • Happy Birthday!
  • Dear Heath, Congrats on your Oscar win. Oh.....wait. Nevermind. Love, Jake.
  • Dear Jake, Congrats on your Oscar win....oh...you neither, huh? Love, Heath
  • Dear Academy, Fuck you. Sincerely, Annie Proulx.
  • Dear Jim, Congrats on the new baby. Jane and I are finally getting settled into our new house and I love it; the walk-in closets are to die for. Yours always, Frank.
So, yeah....I don't think they thought this marketing strategy through the whole way.

But that's ok.

It kept me entertained for nearly 10 minutes. Can't beat that.

5 Comments:

Blogger Ian McGibboney said...

Funny! I think you've combed through every possible option. This really is the perfect example of the oversaturation of advertising and publicity.

March 27, 2006 10:26 AM  
Blogger Flamingo Jones said...

yeah...I think there needs to be a line. I don't know what the line is....but there should be one.

March 27, 2006 10:58 AM  
Blogger barn said...

Another attempt at viral marketing. Hopefully this one died before it got out of the petri dish. 'Cause if it grabs ahold of us again, in the wrong time, or in the...oh, nevermind.

March 28, 2006 8:19 PM  
Blogger Flamingo Jones said...

Can viruses die?

March 28, 2006 10:20 PM  
Blogger barn said...

Yes. If you don't believe me, just ask a leukocyte.

March 29, 2006 5:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home