Friday, May 26, 2006

6 weird things about me.

I got tagged on MySpace with this meme, so I figured I'd post it here too, because it's Friday, I'm bored, and I have nothing more exciting to say.

1. I only have six bones in my neck, instead of seven. No one knows why. Also, one of my pupils doesn't contract like normal. That should probably count as weird thing #2, but I figured I'd lump all of my physical abnormalities into one. I'm a freak. The pupil thing causes trouble any time I have to see a new doctor, because they always think I have a concussion. I try to explain that it's just the way my eyes are, and after I'm able to successfully tell them my address, what year it is and who the president is, they usually believe me.

2. I'm a good cook, but I frequently tell people that I'm not. Once people find out you're a good cook, they want you to actually DO it. It's too much pressure. When it comes to cooking, I'm happy wallowing in the soft bigotry of low expectations, personally. Then when I do cook, and people like it, they make a big deal out of it, ensuring that my cooking abilities will never be taken for granted.

3. I don't give blood, and I'm not an organ donor. It's awful, I know. But, I tend to pass out and be sick for days after I have even a little bit of blood drawn. I'm not saying that wouldn't be worth it in a dire and immediate emergency....but I don't really want to volunteer for it. As for my organs...there are a few reasons I don't sign the donor card.
  • If I'm ever in a life-threatening situation, I don't want the doctors to have any agenda besides doing whatever they can to save me.
  • In the 2002 Clint Eastwood movie "Bloodwork," a serial killer targeted people of a certain blood-type who were on donor lists. While I know that probably would never happen to me, I'd rather be on the safe side.
  • With the kind of luck I have, I'm pretty sure that the day I signed the donor card, something awful would happen. I don't like to tempt fate.
  • I've grown quite fond of my organs, and I'd like to take them with me.
  • When I was in elementary school, the father of one of my classmates came to school to talk about his job as an EMT. There was talk about scissors. And corneas. And donors. I can't even type about it without freaking out. It scarred me.
It's irrational, I know. But keep in mind that a majority of my decisions are based my overwhelming (and frankly annoying) habit of trying to save the world. So, I think I can make this one irrationally selfish decision. Everyone can spare me the lecture, I already got it from the DMV employees.

4. In college, I went to an NSYNC concert. It was under duress, if that helps. My roommate freshman year was obsessed with them, and she talked me into going with her to see them at the Target Center. Aside from a bazillion screaming and crying 13 year old girls, it wasn't THAT bad. The boys could dance. I'll give them that.

5. I hate basketball. I guess that's not weird in and of itself....but everybody seems to love NCAA and NBA basketball. I used to, but I can't stand it anymore. It's the only major sport that I don't enjoy watching (I don't consider NASCAR a sport...otherwise there would be TWO sports I don't enjoy watching.)

6. I found two four-leaf clovers in ten minutes just now. I think that's a little weird. But this way I can use the Old 97's line "Why don't you come over? I'll show you my four-leaf clover" all summer long.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

They can have my Hammond, but I'll never give up my Wurlitzer.

And anyone who'd want my pipe organ has to be a sicko perv.

May 28, 2006 5:17 PM  
Blogger Ian McGibboney said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

May 29, 2006 7:59 AM  
Blogger Ian McGibboney said...

Nice insight! Very funny too. hereby tag myself:

1) My face is out of proportion with acceptable art standards; specifically, my ears are too high. In my freshman art class in high school, my friend got a bad grade for drawing my face the way it actually was instead of the way that fit the guidelines the art teacher expected.

2) I have never seen any of the Matrix or Lord of the Rings movies. I have also never watched an entire episode of American Idol, Survivor or Big Brother.

3) I have a startling knack for perfectly gauging age and time. I once correctly guessed a woman's age...and she was 34. No, I don't know why I risked that. Even weirder, I can also guess the age and gender of a woman's offspring, even if they're not there. Strange. And I can generally guess the time within one minute without looking at a clock.

4) My brother Colin and I discovered that virtually every movie ever made has both a Colin and an Ian in it, and we always look for those names in the credits. I saw X-Men 3 yesterday, and I found both names before the stuntmen passed.

5) At one point in my early childhood, I thought I had transmogrified into a girl. Turns out I just really needed a haircut. And to be told that women do, in fact, have ears.

6) I sometimes have no idea what's going on in the world. Thats my dirty secret.

May 29, 2006 8:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home