Monday, October 10, 2005

Yesterday (In New Bullet-Point Format!):

(This post was originally supposed to be titled "Today," but a rare Firefox glitch ate my post just as I was finishing it. I was too tired to rewrite it last night, so now it'll just be "a day late and a dollar short," as my grandmother used to say. Also, it will no doubt be less funny than the original. Because things are typically not as funny the second time around. Anchorman being the obvious exception.)

  • Was, most importantly, John Lennon's 65th birthday. Like every other fan, I too try to imagine what my favorite Beatle would have been like now, had he survived to see retirement age. Lots of killjoys like to try to convince me that he would have gotten more Conservative over the years. I think that's bullshit. John Lennon would no more agree with the way things are going now than he did 35 years ago. Let my liberal heroes rest in peace, people. Please.
  • Saw the Packers finally realize that they are a football team, and score enough touch-downs to retroactively make up for their previous four losses. I'm sorry that it came at the expense of the New Orleans Saints, I really am. I usually cheer for the Saints, when they're not playing the Packers. But it's sort of like when you're stranded in the desert, dying of thirst. You will drink anything. And it will taste damn good on your parched lips. It's totally like that. And, we have a bye week this week, so our jubilation can continue for a while. So, Happy Brett Favre Day everybody!
  • Was the 3rd consecutive weekend in a row I've had to work (and I have two more to go yet before I get a weekend off). I got suckered into playing yet another board-game with the kids. "Imaginiff." It's a game where you answer questions about people you all know, like "Imaginiff Flamingo were a color. What color would she be?" Then you get 6 choices. It's an odd game. It's even odder to see how other people perceive you. For instance, one of the questions about me was "if Flamingo were a crime, which crime would she be?" The choices were Vagrancy, Homicide, Shoplifting, Corporate fraud, Unsafe lane change, or Indecent exposure. One of the kids playing did his thinking out loud. "Well, I can imagine you doing any of those things, except Vagrancy or Indecent exposure." He couldn't decide between Homicide and Corporate fraud. Humph. I asked him if he even knew what Corporate fraud meant. His reply: "Martha Stewart." That's not much of a story, I know. But I just find it hard to believe that people could imagine me as homicide or theft of any kind. But whatever. I'm not bitter.
  • Also saw me take the boys from work to see War of the Worlds at the dollar theater. I hated this movie the first time around, and I hated it even worse the second time. Being eaten by aliens would be too good of a fate for Tom Cruise and Dakota Fanning, I think.

8 Comments:

Blogger jenny said...

i'm with you on the Lennon-matter. he would never. ever.
:)

October 10, 2005 11:18 AM  
Blogger Ian McGibboney said...

I once read some book published in about 1979, I think about famous New Yorkers, and it traced John and Yoko's life in the Naked City. It was an affectionate look, but it ended on a note along the lines of, "These days, John and Yoko seemed to have been caught up in the very bourgeoisie lifestyle that they have condemned for so long. They no longer make music and seem content lving off their past glories." Which, as we all know now, wasn't really the case.

Anyone who doesn't think Lennon wouldn't be at the very helm of the current anti-neocon movement is a dunce. Hell, had Lennon lived, Reagan may have never even earned a second term. Remember that, in Lennon's day, liberalism had an engaging and subversive voice. More importantly, he and his politics were more accepted than they are now.

I understand what you mean about the Packers being desperately hungry for a win, Jones. That said, remind me not to ever get stranded on an island with you :)

As for crimes, Flamingo, I'd peg you as an arsonist. Or a criminal trespasser. Something anti-corporate like that.

October 10, 2005 12:02 PM  
Blogger Flamingo Jones said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one secure in the faith that Lennon would have stayed a liberal for all eternity.

And whatever, Ian. I'd be totally good company on a deserted island, you schmuck.

But you're forgiven for thinking that I'd go all Fight Club if I were a crime.

Please tell me you've seen Fight Club.

You should...because you're like my Tyler Durden. And that won't make sense to you if you haven't seen the movie.

October 10, 2005 9:44 PM  
Blogger Ian McGibboney said...

I'M your Tyler Durden? I mean, I do collect driver's licenses, but I don't resort to theft and extortion to get them. On the other hand, if you're referring to the fact that I'm your Brad Pitt, then I can deal with that :)

October 10, 2005 11:51 PM  
Blogger Ian McGibboney said...

Me: "Anyone who doesn't think Lennon wouldn't be at the very helm of the current anti-neocon movement is a dunce."

This is wrong. It should say, "Anyone who does think..." This is why I try not to write too many negatives. Not good for the soul OR for clarity.

October 10, 2005 11:53 PM  
Blogger Flamingo Jones said...

I understood what you meant the first time...I just used context clues, like a good reader.

As for Tyler Durden...I mostly meant that if I were ever to have an imaginary alter ego, it'd most likely be you.

But the Brad Pitt thing works too.

October 11, 2005 7:06 AM  
Blogger barn said...

Bullet point format, sans bullets:

-I'm with you on the Lennon thing.

-No comment on the Packers, since I'm the only heterosexual male in America who doesn't follow football. GO WHITESOX!

-You, FJ, are Thoughtcrime.

-Dakota Fanning is indigestible, even to aliens.

-You forgot the first rule of Fight Club.

And, Point of Order: I thought we all WERE imaginary alter egos...

October 11, 2005 7:41 AM  
Blogger Flamingo Jones said...

And, Point of Order: I thought we all WERE imaginary alter egos...

Oh my? ARE we? Whose? Because, honestly, I have a bone to pick with them.

October 11, 2005 8:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home