Saturday, December 10, 2005

Always Winter and Never Christmas

Yesterday I bought advance tickets for The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe for the kids at work. The boys have been reading the book in school, so they were psyched. We took them to a sold-out 7pm show. Most of the kids are definitely the have-nots of society, and seeing popular movies on opening day is not something they're particularly accustomed to on "the outs." They ate it up...the fact that they had tickets that other people wanted, standing in line with the other chosen few, the mad rush to get 7 seats together somewhere, and they mystique of "opening day" had them all atwitter. It was darling.

The movie wasn't bad either. I've always loved the C.S. Lewis books, so I was kind of psyched about the movie myself. It didn't disappoint. I think the movie plays up a lot of the Christian symbolism even more than I remember in the book, but it's not Mel Gibson-obnoxious. Probably because the Christianity that C.S. Lewis wrote about is pre-Neo Con Christianity. The focus, and rightly so, is on the story of Grace, Mercy and Salvation, rather than Law and Damnation.

Plus, it's just a kick-ass story. And the talking animals are WAY cool.

4 Comments:

Blogger Ian McGibboney said...

And at least C.S. Lewis established Christian imagery on purpose! I get tired of hearing that movies like E.T. are Christian allegories because of the thin life-death-resurrection analogy.

December 10, 2005 3:36 PM  
Blogger barn said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

December 10, 2005 9:52 PM  
Blogger Flamingo Jones said...

I don't have too much of a problem with people comparing modern stories to Biblical stories...I personally like to look for ways to apply various philosophical theories to modern pop culture for nothing more than my own amusement...but it's all about intent for me. I don't claim that Green Day was specifically influenced by Ortega y Gasset's theory on the masses when they recorded American Idiot, for example. It's just a neat musical manifestation of the ideas he wrote about. Likewise, I'd think someone was a little nutty if they thought that E.T. was meant to have deep Christian meaning.

And yes, the movie was quite good if you happen to like that stuff. Of course, I really liked the cheesy BBC versions of TLTWATW, Voyage of the Dawn Treader, and the Silver Chair as well...so I'm kind of easy to please. Although, I must say that the girl who plays Lucy in this movie is much less obnoxious than the BBC girl.

December 10, 2005 10:23 PM  
Blogger barn said...

I, Bernard B*****, do hereby promise to never again post comments at this, or any other blog after somehow arriving home after the PICU Christmas party. Especially if, during said party, I consumed innumerable Yuenglings.
Mea Culpa. But I DID have fun ;)

December 11, 2005 3:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home