Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Oh happy day.

I was helping my mother with some gardening/landscaping projects today. At one point, she dug up something, and called me over to have a look.

"Is this something of yours, maybe?"

I looked at the tiny plastic object in her hand. Its barrel body and shiny, metallic, dome-shaped head were unmistakable. In a candid fit of unchecked exuberance I shouted:

"Artoo!!"

Yes, my mother was holding in her hand actual physical evidence of pre-adolescent Flamingo geekiness. My R2-D2 action figure had come home to me, after 20 years.

I kinda felt like Obi-Wan. I won't lie.

He was full of dirt, but completely intact:


I decided I had to take care of the little guy, and clean him up.

So I gave R2 a bubble bath in the sink:


When I had him all scrubbed up, he looked a little better, even though all of his front control panel is missing, because it was printed on a decal, and the dirt kind of ruined that.


But I don't care. And neither does he. We're a family again.

My mom asked me if I remember how he might have gotten buried in the garden in the first place. I think that it probably happened when I was pretending that the garden dirt was the unforgiving sands of Tatooine. I remember finding C-3PO in roughly the same area about 10 years ago. I would venture a guess that I was playing Deserts of Tatooine, got called away for dinner, and the droids got left behind. I feel kind of bad about it, now.

But it's all good now. Funny how stuff like that happens.

7 Comments:

Blogger Ian McGibboney said...

Cool! I think I could very well find some GI Joes in my backyard buried much the same way. Except that my dad paved over the backyard and we don't live there anymore anyway. But before we moved, I found a tiny metal stormtrooper in our attic. It was metal, which toys used to be, kiddies. Finds like these are always so much fun.

April 27, 2006 9:36 AM  
Blogger Charlotte said...

Thanks.. I'm gonna have "Reunited" by Peaches and Herb stuck in my head for the rest of the day...

Reunited and it feels so good
Reunited 'cause we understood
There's one perfect fit
And, sugar, this one is it
We both are so excited
'Cause we're reunited, hey, hey...

April 27, 2006 12:07 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

How fun! Oxy clean may get him whiter yet. Or if that is adhesive, maybe goo gone?

April 27, 2006 2:09 PM  
Blogger Flamingo Jones said...

I AM a big fan of Goo Gone...

April 27, 2006 2:32 PM  
Blogger barn said...

Jones, you've been brilliant lately! (Well, more brillianter than usual.)
Just sayin'.

April 28, 2006 9:04 AM  
Blogger Flamingo Jones said...

Thanks for noticing, Barn! I'm back with a vengence, I'd say.

April 28, 2006 9:06 AM  
Blogger no more said...

That's awsome! I wish I could dig up some of the crap I used to buy in chocolate boxes when I was a kid. But I'd have to travel overseas. ;-/ I did it on purpose, I always had this fantasy of growing up and then finding this long lost treasure of mine.

It's cool because the memories have more value, it's sorta like evidence that "yeah..I was a kid once".

May 02, 2006 5:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home