Tuesday, October 11, 2005

"I love Deadlines."

"I like the whoosing sound they make as they fly by."

That's one of my favorite Douglas Adams quotes, I think. You know, his publishers used to have to literally lock him in a room sometimes to get him to finish writing a book.

But that's beside the point.

I find myself in a a couple of very deadline-focused situations lately.

I'd like to participate in a Holiday Art Show I've been invited to contribute to....but that is going to require me to have a minimum of 10 sell-able pieces of art completed and framed by November 1st. I have a grand total of NONE finished right now. I have one half finished, and 3 or 4 ideas that can quickly be implemented. But that still leaves me with at least 5 more to go.

Also, I'm currently planning on attending grad school somewhere next fall. I don't know what makes this year any different from the other 3 years that I was planning on applying to grad schools...but it feels different this time, like I might actually do it. But, that requires me to do an awful lot of work between now and December 15th, the earliest program deadline I'm looking at. Madison and Minneapolis are my first choices, obviously. Because, a) I'm already here, and b) they both guarantee to PAY ME to go there, if I'm accepted. Both good reasons. But if anyone else knows of good Political Science Ph.D. programs, let me know. I still haven't decided where all to apply.

This is in addition to working 3 jobs that leave me utterly exhausted on a regular basis, mentoring yet another troubled kid, and trying to write stuff that isn't this.

It's a good thing I don't sleep that much at night.

4 Comments:

Blogger Ian McGibboney said...

You ought to come to UL Lafayette. If for no other reason than to not have to stay up all night talking to me. But of course, why come back to the vortex? I can't say I blame you. It's best to just sacrifice the sleep.

October 11, 2005 12:32 PM  
Blogger jenny said...

soo.. you want us to lock you in a room, or what?

:D

October 11, 2005 1:17 PM  
Blogger Flamingo Jones said...

Ian, it will take me 3-4 years to earn a Ph.D. If you're still in Lafayette by that time, I will come down there and drag your ass out myself.

I think if you're concerned about my staying up all night, you should move to Minneapolis. Or find me a Ph.D. program in California that will pay my tuition and a stipend. Then we'd have a deal.

jenny...it may come to that, yes :)

October 11, 2005 4:45 PM  
Blogger Flamingo Jones said...

Thanks Wob. I'm excited about it too. Or at least this is the closest approximation to excitement I can muster anymore.

October 13, 2005 10:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home