Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Quit yer bitchin' Hollywood.

This has been the worst year for Hollywood since...blah blah blah. We've been hearing it all year.

But I just looked at a list of 2005 Movie Releases....and I've seen a LOT of them. I've seen a lot of them even in spite of the fact that most of them sucked.

Just so everyone is clear about what a dork I really am, here's the list. Keep in mind that I saw a lot of the suckier ones for work, and therefore got in free and also got paid by the hour for my time. It makes a difference. Trust me. Some of the other suckier ones I was dragged to by other people. I'm probably not friends with those people anymore.

Movies Flamingo Jones Went To in 2005

Are We There Yet?
Coach Carter
Elektra
Hide and Seek
Racing Stripes
White Noise
Boogeyman
Bride and Prejudice
Constantine (2 times)
Cursed
Diary of a Mad Black Woman
Hitch
Man of the House
Nobody Knows
Schultze Gets the Blues
Son of the Mask
Turtles Can Fly
The Wedding Date
Be Cool*
D.E.B.S.
Dear Frankie
Guess Who
Hostage
The Jacket
Melinda and Melinda
Millions
The Pacifier
The Ring Two
Robots
Fever Pitch
The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (4 times)
The Interpreter (2 times)
Palindromes
Sin City
XXX: State of the Union
Crash (2 times)
Kicking and Screaming
The Longest Yard
Madagascar
Monster-in-Law
Star Wars: Episode III—Revenge of the Sith (4 times)
Unleashed
Batman Begins (3 times)
Bewitched
Cinderella Man
Herbie: Fully Loaded
Howl’s Moving Castle
Lords of Dogtown
March of the Penguins
Me and You and Everyone We Know
Mr. and Mrs. Smith
The Perfect Man
The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants
War of the Worlds (2 times)
Bad News Bears
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (3 times)
Dark Water
Fantastic Four
Hustle and Flow
The Island
Murderball
Must Love Dogs
Sky High
Stealth
Wedding Crashers (2 times)
The 40 Year-Old Virgin (3 times)
Broken Flowers
The Cave
Red Eye
The Skeleton Key
Supercross
Valiant
An Unfinished Life
Cry Wolf
The Exorcism of Emily Rose
Flightplan
The Greatest Game Ever Played
A History of Violence (2 times)
Into the Blue
Just Like Heaven
Lord of War
Roll Bounce
Serenity (2 times)
Dreamer: Inspired by a True Story
Elizabethtown
The Fog
Good Night, and Good Luck
In Her Shoes
The Legend of Zorro
North Country
Prime
Shopgirl (2 times)
Waiting
Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit
The Weather Man
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (3 times)
Jarhead
Just Friends (2 times)
Pride and Prejudice
Walk the Line (4 times)
Zathura
Cheaper by the Dozen 2
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe (2 times)
The Family Stone
King Kong
The Ringer
Rumor Has It



*Doesn't totally count because we walked out half-way.

11 Comments:

Blogger Flamingo Jones said...

So, I did some math...at 135 movies (including multiple viewings), averaging 2 hours a show....I spent 11.5 whole days watching movies in 2005. Holy crap.

January 04, 2006 10:28 PM  
Blogger Ian McGibboney said...

That blows my mind! I wouldn't peg you for a lot of those, even WITH the compensation.

Still, I bet doing it on job time is a huge advantage.

And yes, Be Cool was horrible. I'm glad we chucked it and went for pancakes instead.

January 04, 2006 10:38 PM  
Blogger Flamingo Jones said...

Yeah. Those pancakes were delicious. Probably the best pancakes of 2005. If there is such an award.

January 04, 2006 10:45 PM  
Blogger Phillip said...

jesus tapdancing christ! i haven't been to the theater to see a movie in probably 3 years.

not only does seeing 135 movies take alot of time, but how much money do you think you spent going to see them? i'm sure you had plenty of gentlemen callers buying your ticket on several occasions, but still.

January 05, 2006 8:26 AM  
Blogger Flamingo Jones said...

I'd say at least half were free because of work. A few gentleman callers account for some more. And I typically get a boatload of free passes for Christmas and my birthday, because my parents know me very well.

But yeah, a large majority of my entertainment budget goes strictly to movies. It helps that I usually see matinees...but still. I know. It's insane. I'm just happiest in a dark movie theater.

January 05, 2006 8:41 AM  
Blogger Phillip said...

i can relate -- my room with blinds drawn is my sanctuary.

January 05, 2006 9:08 AM  
Blogger jenny said...

i'm impressed. that's what i call commiting to an obsession. i love it! and oh! not dork. geek. please. :)

January 05, 2006 4:16 PM  
Blogger Ian McGibboney said...

Wow! The Lord of War imdb trivia page is some freaky stuff. People are actually open about that sort of stuff?

January 05, 2006 8:32 PM  
Blogger Flamingo Jones said...

I liked Lord of War too. It wouldn't make my top 10, but I dug it.

January 05, 2006 10:26 PM  
Blogger Neil Shakespeare said...

I liked 'The Passion of the Drunks'. That was a good one.

Seriously, sounds like a great life! MOVIES! MOVIES!! Now, if they just make better movies...

January 08, 2006 4:02 AM  
Blogger Flamingo Jones said...

It's OK Wob, I'm planning to go to the Midnight Madness show at Uptown this month. No worries. The Earth shall remain on its regular trajectory.

January 11, 2006 1:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home