Tuesday, February 14, 2006

A last-minute Valentine's Day thought...

Seeing as how there are 11 minutes left of this "holiday," and as how I just rewatched Lord of War tonight, I thought it would be fitting to reiterate the fact that:

Diamonds are evil.

And they're not OK, even if you get one of those "This particular diamond didn't buy guns or result in some kid losing an arm" certificates. You're still creating a demand for the vile things, and it's that perpetual demand that ensures a continued market. Not to mention the fact that we've created an entire society where girls are raised to measure their own self-worth in carats. Barf.


So, that's that. I don't really have anything else to say. Just felt like posting something, and that seemed to do the trick.

4 Comments:

Blogger jenny said...

well said.

February 15, 2006 3:09 AM  
Blogger R said...

I don't know how you could watch Lord of War again. I found it incredibly depressing the first time around.

Good, but quite a depressing experience.

February 15, 2006 9:06 AM  
Blogger Flamingo Jones said...

I actually didn't find it that depressing, either time. I find the cynicism entertaining. I mean, the subject matter is totally depressing...but I don't find the movie itself depressing much at all.

February 15, 2006 10:35 AM  
Blogger Ian McGibboney said...

YES!! I agree totally. People continue to be shocked when I tell them about blood diamonds. It's worse than telling a kid about Santa Claus, followed by all the denial of a Bush voter.

The diamond thing is a huge litmus test for me when considering dating somebody. Far from the only consideration, and certainly not something I dangle in anyone's face. But I generally avoid girls who like expensive stuff anyway, so it isn't a huge deal.

February 15, 2006 12:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home